Vegetarian Festival 2023 (Thailand)
October 14 - October 23
Vegetarian Festival 2023, formally known as Nine Emperor Gods Festival (เทศกาลกินเจ / 九皇勝會), will be held for 10 days from 14 – 23 October 2023. Widely celebrated all over Thailand, devotees will observe a vegetarian diet over this period as a form of body purification. The Taoist festival was brought into Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore by Chinese immigrants hundreds of years ago and has since been integrated into part of Thailand’s culture.
Bangkok Vegetarian Festival 2023
The festival is celebrated mostly in Bangkok’s Chinatown, Yaowarat. Preparations will start as early as one week before the event where yellow banners and flags will be placed prominently in the area. Religious rituals and activities revolve around the Kwang Tung Shine located just opposite one of the MRT station’s exits.
- Guangdong Shrine (Kuang Siew Association of Thailand) [Map]
- ศาลเจ้ากวางตุ้ง (สมาคมกว๋องสิวประเทศไทย)
- Nearest MRT station: (BL29) Wat Mangkon วัดมังกร
Shopping malls in Bangkok will hold food fairs throughout the festival, offering vegetarian and vegan dishes in a variety of international cuisines.
Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2023
Religious and celebratory activities of the Jae Festival (as it is locally known) are the most intense in Phuket. To purify their souls, devotees participate in processions with piercings through their mouths and walk over hot coals, on top of keeping a vegetarian diet during this period. These activities are held in dozens of Taoist shrines in the city, and these are some of the popular ones:
- Bang Neow Shrine อ๊ามบางเหนียว [Map]
- Jui Tui Shrine ศาลเจ้าจุ้ยตุ่ย 水碓斗母宮 [Map]
- Tha Rua Shrine ศาลเจ้าท่าเรือ [Map]
- Kuan Tae Kun Shrine ศาลเจ้ากวนเต้กุ้น สะปำ [Map]
- Lim Hu Tai Su Shrine ศาลเจ้าหลิมฮู้ไท้ซู่(สามกอง) [Map]
- Kathu Shrine ศาลเจ้ากะทู้ 內杼斗母宮 [Map]
- Yok Ke Keng Shrine ศาลเจ้ายกเค่เก้ง(ซอยพะเนียง) [Map]
Have an upcoming event in Thailand?