Chinese New Year Celebrations 2023 (Thailand)
January 14 - February 15
Chinese New Year Celebrations 2023 (2023年泰国新春庆祝活动) in Thailand will take place from 14 January – 15 February 2023 at multiple locations across the country. While the Chinese New Year is not designated as a public holiday in Thailand, more than 10% of Thais are of Chinese descent and celebrate this occasion from the first day to the fifteen day of the lunar new year. A host of activities from lantern displays, dragon & lion dance performances, concerts, and food fairs have been organized by the Tourism Authority Thailand to celebrate the festival this year.
List of CNY 2023 activities in Thailand
- Nakhon Ratchasima
- Korat Chinese New Year (20 – 22 January 2023): Festive celebrations with traditional dragon dance performances.
- Venue: Thao Suranaree Monument สถานีตำรวจห้วยแถลง [Map]
- Samut Prakan
- Pak Nam Colourful Lantern Festival (1 – 12 February 2023): Display of over 5000 lanterns imported from Taiwan, religious rituals, lion dance performances, puppet show, lantern-making competitions, and fireworks.
- Venue: Wat Dhammakatanyu (Xian Lo Dai Tien Gong) วัดธรรมกตัญญู (เสียนหลอไต้เทียนกง) [Map]
- Ratchaburi Chinatown (19 – 23 January 2023 / 6:00pm – 10:00pm): Sound and light show, traditional lion and dragon dances, cultural and contemporary performances, cooking demonstrations, Chinese astrology talks, and Chinese paper cutting, mask-painting & lantern-making workshops.
- Venue: Pracha Phatthana Dam เขื่อนรัฐประชาพัฒนา ราชบุรี [Map]
- Phuket Nostalgic Chinese New Year Festival (20 – 22 January 2023): Sino-Portuguese architecture animation screenings, and architecture lectures.
- Venue: Thaland Road, Hai Leng Ong Statue (Golden Dragon Monument) ลานมังกร ฮ่ายเหล็งอ๋อง [Map]
- Krung Kao Chinese New Year, Ayutthaya Grand Blessing (20 – 22 January 2023): Religious rituals and processions, lantern-making competitions, Chinese food fair, Miss Chinese beauty contest.
- Venue: Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya City Municipality Office สำนักงานเทศบาลนครพระนครศรีอยุธยา [Map]
- Yaowarat Chinese New Year (14 January – 15 February 2023 / 6:00pm – 00:00am): Street lightings and decorations in the theme of rabbit along the 200m Yaowarat Road. Celebratory activities at the shrines.
- Venue: The Chinatown Gate ซุ้มประตูวัฒนธรรมไทย – จีน [Map]
- Chiang Mai Chinatown Festival (21 – 23 January 2023): Lion and dragon dances, photo booths and a food fair.
- Venue: Warorot Market (Kad Luang) ตลาดวโรรส [Map]
- Pattaya, Chon Buri
- Pattaya Chinese New Year (20 – 22 January 2023): Thai-Chinese cultural performances, lion and dragon dance performances, CNY festival exhibition, and concerts by local artists.
- Venue: Pattaya Walking Street [Map]
- Nakhon Trang Chinese New Year Festival (20 – 22 January 2023): Performances by students, lion dances and a local product bazaar.
- Venue: Trang City Municipality สำนักงานเทศบาลนครตรัง [Map]
- Hat Yai, Songkhla
- Hat Yai Chinese New Year Festival (21 – 23 January 2023): Buddha statue procession, Chinese music performances, and religious fire-walking activities.
- Venue: Niphatuthit 2 Road & Niphatuthit 3 Road [Map]
- Nakhon Sawan
- Chinese New Year Festival (15 – 26 January 2023): Chinese opera, prayers, concerts and food fair.
- Venue: Chao Phraya River Head ต้นแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา [Map]
Have an upcoming event in Thailand?